Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saluton mondo!

Saluton mondo! This simple two word phrase is one of the few things I still really remember from a past feeble attempt to teach myself some basic Java programming. It means “Hello world!” in Esperanto and it’s what this blog is saying now!

Lest I confuse you, this blog is most definitely not about computer programming. While my attempts to teach myself Java failed to gain traction, one thing that certainly did gain traction a few years ago was a renewed, and in many ways new found, love of bicycles.

I loved my bike as a kid. I remember riding my BMX bike around and around the neighborhood where I lived as a little kid in Western Pennsylvania or to friends’ houses when I lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia during middle school and high school.

I’ll save some of those details of my childhood bike riding for future blog posts so I don’t get too far off track here. Suffice it to say that as I got older, I strayed somewhat from that childhood interest in cycling, eventually giving up a bike that I had when I went to Peace Corps.

Finally, a couple years ago, I procured a new bike. I had wheels and I fell in love with cycling again in a way I hadn’t since I was a kid, and probably not even then. I haven’t looked back since.

This blog will be my forum to share and discuss my passion for cycling: my experiences commuting daily by bicycle between Alexandria, VA and Washington, DC; bicycle touring; urban planning, bicycle advocacy and safety issues; professional cycling; and other random musings.

Welcome to my blog! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment