Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend Morning Ride

As a daily bicycle commuter, you get used to having a bike ride or two as part of your day almost every day... of the week, that is. You'll find me out on my bike morning and evening just about every day Monday through Friday. Most people think of riding a bike as a weekend activity, but that is precisely when I am less likely to be out and about on my bike. 

Don't get me wrong, I like getting out for a ride on the weekends, especially during prime cycling seasons (for me fall and spring). It just doesn't usually happen, at least not with the frequency that occurs Monday through Friday.

Today was one of those weekend days when I make time to get out and ride. With the exception of the areas around some churches, traffic is really light on Sunday morning at 9 AM. It makes for some nice riding. I spent a little less than two hours on my bike this morning and went about 20 miles. It was a good distance for working up a little bit of a sweat, getting the blood flowing, and having some time to not really think about much except for the road I was on, my legs spinning the pedals, and the fresh air blowing in my face as I pedaled along. I also managed to stop and pick up some needed groceries on the way home. 



I start a graduate program tomorrow (more to come on that in a separate post), so between reading and research for that and other plans for the next few weekends, I have a feeling this might be the last time I get to take this kind of weekend ride for a while. 

On the plus side cycling-wise, I'll be getting an extra three or four miles of bike riding in to and from evening classes three times a week now that my graduate studies are getting underway. But I'll miss my couple hours in the saddle on a nice Saturday or Sunday morning every few weeks if I can't work that into my schedule.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that with careful planning you won't have to give up your weekend rides when school starts. -Meghan

    ReplyDelete